Friday, June 05, 2009

Making Lampwork Trees For Beginners

glass lampwork aged tree bead pendant
glass lampwork tree bead pendant

I have been working on getting the gnarled look of the tree bark The first problem I had was pulling stringers. They would be fat in one place and then thick in the next inch. I guess it's just going to take practice. What I have learned is to pull at a steady pace. I put a glob of glass at the end of my mandrel. I flatten it into a pancake about the size of a quarter. I then add a fat stripe on all four sides using different colors. I like using shades of brown, black,ivory,yellows and reds. The colors can be as wild as your imagination. I melt the glass until it's starting to sag, then take a tweezers and pull and twist at the same time fairly quickly but at an even pace. It definately gets better as you practice.

glass lampwork dream tree bead pendant

No comments: